Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On the Move with a 70 - 200 2.8 Strobist Style (Part 1 of 3)

Well, today I'm in Gladstone QLD on a work assignment. For those who don't know, Gladstone is 550 km north of Brisbane on the central coast of QLD. It's an old fishing town and the gateway to Heron Island and the great barrier reef.
Things are pretty different here since last time I was here last year. Last time, the place was on a resources boom-fuelled high. The town was packed, new businesses where popping up all over, and the main street looked like Noosa. The mine outside of town was digging up the ground and sending it to foreign lands like there was no tomorrow. Workers came in from all over to make quick and easy money.
Now, the boom has gone to bust, the mine has slowed production, the temp workers have gone home, and brand new restaurants sit empty on the main street and still charge prices higher than you'd see in Brisbane.
I spend my off time (and there is a lot of it) texting home, and thought I'd do a street assault on this sleepy town, with one strobe off camera strobist style. Since my good friend David at cameratalk.com.au recently did a travel series with a Canon 50 1.4, I thought I'd go the other extreme and do a mini series with a Canon 70 - 200 2.8IS L.
For all you techie nerds, I even threw in a setup shot here

No comments:

Post a Comment