Sunday, June 14, 2009


It’s been said that the best camera is the one you have on you. And that is never more true then when you’re trying to get somewhere. In travel there are these big pockets where a lot of waiting takes place, waiting for flights, waiting to land, waiting for food, the list goes on.

The times where I’ve enjoyed the wait have been the times when I’ve had a camera, and looked for photographic adventure. I mean, how often do we just have time to drive and see what’s around the corner?

Rather than sit in my hotel room and watch a rerun of the 2004 World Lawn Bowls Championships, I head out and try to see what I can capture that I don’t get a chance to at home.

The shot pictured was taken at 5 am. I was driving around the town I was doing some work for a client in, and I came across this little marina just as the sun was rising. At first I was a little annoyed at the jetty which sort of spoiled the serenity of the scene as it appeared just as a black object in the first couple frames I took. Then, I had an idea, why not turn my hirecar into an off camera lightsource and turn the boring jetty into a feature?

It took me a couple goes to get the car lined up straight so that the railing looked even, but eventually I got it to a point where I was happy with it.

I’m gonna call it hire car strobism.

Follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment